It seems like just a matter of time before we all get our turn with coronavirus, and it's important to me that my family is prepared. We continue to exercise, prioritize sleep, eat healthy, and maintain good supplement routines, but today I'm sharing what's in our Virus Care Kit. We're ready to go with everything we'll need, so we won't have to waste precious time waiting for deliveries.
Now then... this is what MY doctor advised for ME and MY FAMILY if we contract covid. Our physician knows us personally and has treated us for years. I trust her methods and research, and I've done my own research as well. She's had tremendous success with this covid protocol, treating hundreds of patients. Of that group, only one elderly patient had to be hospitalized.
I am NOT saying that this is what YOU should do for your family, nor am I giving medical advice. This is simply me, as a friend, sharing what WE will be doing. I encourage YOU, friend, to do your own research, to consult a physician you trust who knows YOU and your needs, and make your OWN plan. Prevention and preparedness are key, I think, as well as a calm approach.
One of the items on my doctor's list is to reduce anxiety around this situation. She says, "Fear and anxiety are risk factors for severity of illness. Sit in your faith. God has you covered."
Stress relief is critical. I hope you'll find ways to mitigate your stress around this virus. We WILL get through this, and fear will not help.
Here are some verses that bring me comfort when I'm worried. They may help you as well.
Now that the disclaimer is out of the way and we're discussing things as friends, let's peek into my Holistic Virus Care Kit!
Make sure you have enough for each person in your family and you know the correct dosing for them. The doses below are for me and my husband. While many of these remedies are appropriate for children, not all are, and you'll need to figure out proper dosing. Please check with your pediatrician.
Having a printed list for each person will be helpful, so you aren't trying to figure things out while you feel yucky.
- Rapid-result self-test kits. We keep these in the house so we won't be driving all over searching for a test. Once we have a positive result or symptoms strongly point to covid, we will start the protocol below.
- lvermectin 0.4 mg/kg* - prescription was required
- Fluvoxamine 50 mg twice daily for 14 days - prescription was required
- Vitamin D3 4,000 IU/day (Get liquid vitamin D3 and do 100,000 IU daily for 5 days unless you have a parathyroid condition)
- Vitamin C 2,000 mg 2-3 times daily
- Quercetin 250mg twice a day
- Zinc 100mg/day
- Probiotics - Get a good quality one and take 3-4 times the dosage for a few days. You should be taking a regular daily dose year-round.
- Echinacea - Double the dose for up to one week. Do not take this one for an extended amount of time since it can elevate blood pressure. Avoid if you have autoimmune disease.
- Elderberry for antiviral and antioxidant support. Take a dose daily as part of your wellness routine, then increase dosage during illness. Sweet's offers a wide range of options for all ages and specific dietary needs.
- Astralagus for antiviral support
- Melatonin 10mg before bedtime (causes drowsiness)
- Pepcid 60 mg orally three times per day
- Aspirin 325mg/day (DO NOT give aspirin to anyone under 16 unless instructed to do so by your doctor.)
- XClear - 2 squirts each nostril twice daily
- Saline + Iodine - 1-2 drops of iodine added to a nasal rinse for prevention and early treatment. Try Simply Saline in the white can or a Neti Pot. Do not use the squeezy bottles of nasal spray as the preservatives can bother your sinuses and cause them to bleed. If infected, you may use 1-2 drops of iodine in 3cc's of normal saline for a nebulizer 3x/day if infected. (You can get a nebulizer through Amazon.) Important notes on iodine safety below!
- SPM Supreme by Designs for Health, Orthomolecular Mitocore, and Nattokinase to try to prevent "Long COVID"
- Tonic water - add a little Sweet's Elderberry Shrub for a tasty drink with antiviral properties! The fizziness may help settle your stomach too.
- Methylene Blue - increases blood oxygenation. Take 1-2 drops in water, then sit in the sun (as prevention) or 5-10 drops in water, then sit in the sun (if infected) - sunlight activates this remedy. May interact with some drugs. Please check with your doctor if you're on any prescriptions.
We also keep the following essential oils in our basket. You'll want to apply them along with a carrier oil unless bottle indicates that direct application is OK:
- Eucalyptus or RC: for congestion or cough
- Peppermint and Lavender: for fever, applied to feet and spine (do not apply peppermint topically to babies)
- Thieves or OnGuard: for immune support, diffuse and apply to the feet (do not apply Thieves topically to babies)
INSTRUCTIONS DURING INFECTION:
- Walk a little every hour you're awake.
- Get outside. Fresh air is very important.
- Eat regularly. You may tolerate frequent, small meals better than "three squares a day" - but keep those small meals impactful. Choose fruits, veggies, and protein. Avoid sugars and unhealthy snacks.
- Drink chicken bone broth, preferably containing garlic.
- Manage your symptoms - naturally if possible.
- NAC (N acetyl cysteine) is very helpful with mucus.
- Mullein and Nettle may also help you.
- Try the Magic Sock Trick. Sounds crazy but WORKS.
- Before going to bed and when you wake in the morning try these tips:
- Use steam from your shower or boil water with Vick's liquid, eucalyptus oil or tea tree oil - INHALE
- Hot bath with Epsom salts and apple cider vinegar. Wet a hand towel with the bathwater and tent it over your nose and mouth.
- Fever? Let it run if you possibly can. It's doing a very important job. Here are some very helpful tips.
- Sweet's Elderberry Syrup - 1 Tbsp every 3 hours while you're awake, and again if you wake in the night. 1 tsp for children. Do not use if pregnant or with a baby under age 1 due to the presence of raw honey.
- If that's not enough, use Herbal Formula Phytocillin. It tastes awful but works fast.
- Hot tea with grated fresh ginger. Let steep for 15 minutes then strain. Add honey when it's cool enough to touch, along with a pinch of cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar. If you're of age and interested in trying it, add a shot of whiskey.
- Earache? Slice an onion in half and microwave the onion until warm - not hot. Place the onion in a sock and hold up to the ear for pain relief. Garlic Oil or Mullein ear drops also work well.
We will most likely NOT take extra precautions to isolate from one another within our household if one of us is infected. We will have been contagious for 2-3 days before showing symptoms, and it is extremely, extraordinarily unlikely that my (thankfully) otherwise healthy children would develop any complication. We will choose to get our antibodies naturally.
There are MANY well-documented studies supporting use of holistic, natural remedies with covid, conducted by scientists and doctors interested in boosting success with at-home recovery and helping us hospitalization. This is an excellent study you may enjoy reviewing. The charts at the bottom of the study show effectiveness of using basic tools like Vitamin C, Zinc and other everyday supplements to support your immune system in its fight.
Again, I encourage you to do your own research, and consult with your doctor who knows YOU. It's ok to seek multiple opinions. It's YOUR right to decide medical treatment for you and your family - no one else's. There is no one-size-fits-all approach to healthcare.
Be well, Sweet friend!
Important Notes on Iodine
Iodine breaks down excess mucus so you may experience runny nose, increased salivation, or sinus headache. Iodine is also antimicrobial and antiparasitic, so signs of die-off or detox may occur. If there is a long-standing iodine deficiency, one may experience hyperthyroidism for a while or have a sore throat with a slight thyroid swelling. When lacking in iodine, the thyroid tissue expands in order to glean more iodine from the bloodstream.
Iodine is contraindicated (not recommended for):
- Kidney patients and those with excretory problems who cannot detox iodine through the kidneys.
- An iodine allergy. Some people are even allergic to iodized table salt. Usually iodine spread onto a patch of skin will indicate an extreme intolerance to iodine.
Iodine interacts with the following:
- Medications for an overactive thyroid (Antithyroid drugs)
- Amiodarone (Cordarone)
- Medications for high blood pressure (ACE inhibitors)
- Medications for high blood pressure (Angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs))
- Water pills (Potassium-sparing diuretics)